The International Labour Organisation (ILO) has launched a video contest! Those of you affected by youth employment issues can enter. Although this is aimed at youth, not children, I still thought I would post it here because youth unemployment is a major issue and if solutions are not found, today's children will grow up to face bleak prospects.
The global population is growing at a record rate. Today, an article in the Sunday Times News Review gave these statistics on the global population:
- It took 250,000 years to reach 1 billion people.
- It then took another century to reach 2 billion people.
- After that, it took 33 years to reach 3 billion people.
- The gap between the birth of the sixth and seventh billionth human was just over a decade. (This milestone was reached in October 2011.)
- It is estimated that by 2050, the global population will be greater than 9 billion people.
A child looking after a baby in Cape Coast, Ghana.
What will their future prospects be?